Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A day in the life...

The UNC men's lacrosse players strive for excellence both on and off the field. My most recent story was about a typical day for a student athlete. The player I followed had to balance school, lacrosse and down time and was expected to give his all in every activity. When game days come, his routine is temporarily stopped and he must work around the intensity of the three-hour commitment.

It was challenging to follow one person for a day, and I felt as though I was an intruder. He was generous enough to allow me access into his daily routine, and I think it really helped the story to show the commitment student athletes make. I enjoyed writing about the players on this team, as they are so dedicated and passionate about doing well. Since lacrosse receives little funding from UNC, the players must find financial resources themselves. So, many players also integrate a part-time job into their already stressed schedule.

At this point, the men’s lacrosse team is 6-0 this season, and is proving they can handle all the responsibilities that come from being student athletes.

No comments:

Post a Comment