Thursday, March 12, 2009

New Coach, Fresh Outlook

My first profile story was about the new head coach for the UNC men’s lacrosse team. In addition to being a newcomer to UNC, he had never coached lacrosse before, but was up for the challenge this season.

This was my first sports story, making it a little more difficult. I learned a lot about the importance of game records; goals are simply one part. The coach also analyzed ground ball wins, face offs and defensive clears, all important factors in the sport. I could see why he was a great coach judging by the way he helped me learn about lacrosse. It was easy to do the reporting because while observing the coach, I was also able to watch the lacrosse game.

By writing, then rewriting the story I was able to focus on the important details and cut the less significant information. It was easy for me to write about the coach as a person and his qualities. The struggle for me was trying to tie in lacrosse terminology and facts. However, after attending only three games and a few practices I have gained a substantial amount of knowledge about the sport. For future stories, I will work on more in-depth analyzing of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment